Au Gratin Cheesy Potatoes
"This is one of my favorite ways to fix potatoes," Lois reports. Slices are coated with a cheesy sauce and topped with golden crumbs. "We often serve it with baked ham on New Year's Day," she notes.
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2 cups Basic White Sauce
- 1-1/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled, cooked and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a saucepan, prepare a double recipe of the white sauce. Stir in
- cheese, salt and pepper; cook and stir until cheese is melted.
- Gently stir in the potatoes until coated.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Toss bread crumbs and
- butter; sprinkle over potatoes. Cover and bake at 350° for 20
- minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until crumb topping is
- golden brown. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 291 calories, 16 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 35 mg cholesterol, 678 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 8 g protein.