- 2 cups Basic White Sauce
- 1-1/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled, cooked and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a saucepan, prepare a double recipe of the white sauce. Stir in cheese, salt and pepper; cook and stir until cheese is melted. Gently stir in the potatoes until coated.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Toss bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over potatoes. Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until crumb topping is golden brown. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Au Gratin Cheesy Potatoes
Sort By :
"Family loved this recipe. I cubed the potatoes instead of sliced and added bacon. Will definitely use as my standard au gratin recipe from now on."
"[quote user="cmkarkos"]The recipe calls for cooked potoates. It doesn't mention HOW. Do you bake them, boil them or what? And for how long?[/quote]Personally I would boil them - just until they were fork tender. I don't see any reason why you couldn't cheat and use canned, sliced potatoes as well. The flavor wouldn't be as fresh and you'd want to decrease the salt for sure - but it would certainly work well & speed up the prep of the dish."
"The recipe calls for cooked potoates. It doesn't mention HOW. Do you bake them, boil them or what? And for how long? I haven't tried the recipe, but I want to. I'm just in the dark about the potatoes."
"This is delicious."
"Started making this recipe then realize I didn't have enough cheddar. Made up the difference with Havarti! Wow, that was really good. Now, I alternate depending on the main dish I'm serving! Thanks for this recipe!"