- 2 cups Basic White Sauce
- 1-1/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled, cooked and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a saucepan, prepare a double recipe of the white sauce. Stir in cheese, salt and pepper; cook and stir until cheese is melted. Gently stir in the potatoes until coated.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Toss bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over potatoes. Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until crumb topping is golden brown. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Au Gratin Cheesy Potatoes
Sort By :
Family loved this recipe. I cubed the potatoes instead of sliced and added bacon. Will definitely use as my standard au gratin recipe from now on.
cmkarkosThe recipe calls for cooked potoates. It doesn't mention HOW. Do you bake them, boil them or what? And for how long?
Personally I would boil them - just until they were fork tender. I don't see any reason why you couldn't cheat and use canned, sliced potatoes as well. The flavor wouldn't be as fresh and you'd want to decrease the salt for sure - but it would certainly work well & speed up the prep of the dish.
The recipe calls for cooked potoates. It doesn't mention HOW. Do you bake them, boil them or what? And for how long? I haven't tried the recipe, but I want to. I'm just in the dark about the potatoes.
This is delicious.
Started making this recipe then realize I didn't have enough cheddar. Made up the difference with Havarti! Wow, that was really good. Now, I alternate depending on the main dish I'm serving! Thanks for this recipe!