Au Gratin Carrots
Our children would never eat carrots, and I could never find a recipe to please their taste buds. Then a friend shared this recipe, and sure enough...they loved it! Now they request this dish.Sherry Johnson, Glenfield, North Dakota
8-10 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2 pounds carrots, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 4 ounces process American cheese, cubed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 cups cornflakes, crushed
- Cook the carrots until crisp-tender; drain and set aside. In a
- saucepan over medium heat, saute onion in 3 tablespoons butter until
- tender. Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Gradually add milk; bring to
- a boil, stirring constantly. Cook for 1 minute or until thickened.
- Stir in the cheese just until melted. Add carrots and parsley. Pour
- into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Melt remaining butter; add
- cornflakes. Sprinkle over carrots. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for
- 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 171 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 390 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 5 g protein.