Our children would never eat carrots, and I could never find a recipe to please their taste buds. Then a friend shared this recipe, and sure enough...they loved it! Now they request this dish.—Sherry Johnson, Glenfield, North Dakota
- 2 pounds carrots, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 4 ounces process American cheese, cubed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 cups cornflakes, crushed
- Cook the carrots until crisp-tender; drain and set aside. In a saucepan over medium heat, saute onion in 3 tablespoons butter until tender. Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Gradually add milk; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook for 1 minute or until thickened. Stir in the cheese just until melted. Add carrots and parsley. Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Melt remaining butter; add cornflakes. Sprinkle over carrots. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Au Gratin Carrots in Taste of Home February/March 1996, p14
Reviews for Au Gratin Carrots
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 1, 2012
"We usually make this for Easter and Thanksgiving. We're quite a group now so we double the recipe. The white sauce can be prepared ahead. Delicious!!"
Reviewed Oct. 19, 2011