Our children would never eat carrots, and I could never find a recipe to please their taste buds. Then a friend shared this recipe, and sure enough...they loved it! Now they request this dish.—Sherry Johnson, Glenfield, North Dakota
- 2 pounds carrots, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 4 ounces process American cheese, cubed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 cups cornflakes, crushed
- Cook the carrots until crisp-tender; drain and set aside. In a saucepan over medium heat, saute onion in 3 tablespoons butter until tender. Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Gradually add milk; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook for 1 minute or until thickened. Stir in the cheese just until melted. Add carrots and parsley. Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Melt remaining butter; add cornflakes. Sprinkle over carrots. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Au Gratin Carrots in Taste of Home February/March 1996, p14
Reviews for Au Gratin Carrots
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Apr. 1, 2012
"We usually make this for Easter and Thanksgiving. We're quite a group now so we double the recipe. The white sauce can be prepared ahead. Delicious!!"
Reviewed Oct. 19, 2011