At-Attention Grilled Chicken Recipe
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh thyme or 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can (12 ounces) beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 1. Combine the first eight ingredients. Gently loosen skin from chicken breasts; rub olive oil and 2 tablespoons spice mixture under the skin. Rub remaining spice mixture over skin. Place chicken in a large resealable plastic bag; seal bag. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- 2. Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan. Pour out a third of the beer. Carefully poke additional holes in top of the can with a can opener. Holding the chicken with legs pointed down, lower chicken over the can so it fills the body cavity.
- 3. Place chicken over drip pan; grill, covered, over indirect medium heat for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 180°. Remove chicken from grill; cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Remove chicken from can. Yield: 6 servings.
6 ounces cooked chicken equals 276 calories, 17 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 88 mg cholesterol, 475 mg sodium, 2 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 28 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.