At-Attention Grilled Chicken Recipe
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh thyme or 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can (12 ounces) beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 1. In a small bowl, mix the first eight ingredients. Place chicken on a large plate; tuck under wings. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from chicken breast; rub oil and 2 tablespoons thyme mixture under skin. Rub remaining mixture over skin. Refrigerate, covered, at least 1 hour or overnight.
- 2. Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan. Remove a third of the beer from can. Using a can opener, make additional large holes in top of can. Cover bottom and sides of can with heavy-duty foil, wrapping tightly. Carefully slide chicken over foil, neck end up.
- 3. Stand chicken over drip pan, spreading legs slightly to secure. Grill chicken, covered, over indirect medium heat 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°.
- 4. Carefully remove chicken from grill; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before carving. Yield: 6 servings.
4 ounces cooked chicken: 322 calories, 19g fat (5g saturated fat), 104mg cholesterol, 498mg sodium, 2g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 1g fiber), 33g protein
Reviews for At-Attention Grilled Chicken
"Yummy tasting with excellent tender, moist meat. This is my new favorite way to cook a whole chicken!"
"Moist and tasty"
"Easy, delicious, very moist. Put a chunk of onion in the neck to seal in the steam. Barbecued a 4 lb. 4 oz. roasting chicken in 1 hr 10 min. This is now my go-to bbq chicken recipe! Fantastic!"
"No stars showing...I hope I clicked on 5 because this was wonderfully moist and tastey. We had so much fun sitting and nibbling while smelling the chicken cook. I would only like to add that you make sure to clean the can before using it for cooking the chicken on. Thank you."
"cooked it in the oven for 1.5 hours at 350, sub'd Italian seasoning for thyme and garlic salt pepper combo for salt and pepper. was moist"
"fantastic you may need to cook more than one at a time"
"The chicken is so tender and the flavor is great."
"I was skeptical about this recipe due to the odd assortment of herbs and spices. But I have never had a TOH recipe fail me yet so I tried it. Didn't have time to marinate, just went ahead and followed the rest of the recipe exactly and just have to say, it was the best way of grilling chicken I have ever tried! We all loved it, and will definately make this way again."
"i made this today i put it in my deep fryerand it turns out better then grilling it."
"I put a half of a lemon or onion on the neck opening.It seals in the steam.Yum!"
"It is very easy. Taste delicious. I used Brown ale beer"
"We made this on a camping trip using a soda can of water instead of beer. We used foil to tent it as well. The top part of the chicken was not cooked well, but the rest was the best chicken I ever ate--full of flavor and falling off the bone tender! Loved it!"
"I've always made a baked version of this but, this is so much better. And, the mess is not in my oven."
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.