At-Attention Grilled Chicken Recipe
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh thyme or 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can (12 ounces) beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 1. In a small bowl, mix the first eight ingredients. Place chicken on a large plate; tuck under wings. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from chicken breast; rub oil and 2 tablespoons thyme mixture under skin. Rub remaining mixture over skin. Refrigerate, covered, at least 1 hour or overnight.
- 2. Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan. Remove a third of the beer from can. Using a can opener, make additional large holes in top of can. Cover bottom and sides of can with heavy-duty foil, wrapping tightly. Carefully slide chicken over foil, neck end up.
- 3. Stand chicken over drip pan, spreading legs slightly to secure. Grill chicken, covered, over indirect medium heat 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°.
- 4. Carefully remove chicken from grill; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before carving. Yield: 6 servings.
4 ounces cooked chicken equals 322 calories, 19 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 104 mg cholesterol, 498 mg sodium, 2 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 33 g protein.
Reviews for At-Attention Grilled Chicken
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.