- 3 tablespoons minced fresh thyme or 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can (12 ounces) beer or nonalcoholic beer
- Combine the first eight ingredients. Gently loosen skin from chicken breasts; rub olive oil and 2 tablespoons spice mixture under the skin. Rub remaining spice mixture over skin. Place chicken in a large resealable plastic bag; seal bag. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan. Pour out a third of the beer. Carefully poke additional holes in top of the can with a can opener. Holding the chicken with legs pointed down, lower chicken over the can so it fills the body cavity.
- Place chicken over drip pan; grill, covered, over indirect medium heat for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 180°. Remove chicken from grill; cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Remove chicken from can. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for At-Attention Grilled Chicken
Sort By :
"Moist and tasty"
"Easy, delicious, very moist. Put a chunk of onion in the neck to seal in the steam. Barbecued a 4 lb. 4 oz. roasting chicken in 1 hr 10 min. This is now my go-to bbq chicken recipe! Fantastic!"
"No stars showing...I hope I clicked on 5 because this was wonderfully moist and tastey. We had so much fun sitting and nibbling while smelling the chicken cook. I would only like to add that you make sure to clean the can before using it for cooking the chicken on. Thank you."
"cooked it in the oven for 1.5 hours at 350, sub'd Italian seasoning for thyme and garlic salt pepper combo for salt and pepper. was moist"
"fantastic you may need to cook more than one at a time"