Asparagus with Sesame Butter
The first fresh asparagus is a delightful springtime treat. This light butter sauce lets the asparagus flavor come through, and the sprinkling of sesame seeds adds a delicate crunch. This is a simple yet delicious dish.
Eunice Stoen, Decorah, Iowa
6-8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 pounds fresh asparagus
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- Place asparagus spears in a large skillet; add boiling water and
- salt. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until tender. Remove asparagus and
- keep warm. Drain cooking liquid, reserving 1/2 cup in a small
- saucepan. Combine cornstarch and cold water; stir into liquid. Cook
- and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly; cook and stir
- 1 minute more. Stir in butter until melted. Spoon over asparagus;
- sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve immediately. Yield: 6-8
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (5 ounces) equals 84 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 229 mg sodium, 4 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.