Asparagus with Blue Cheese
This simple, elegant side would be ideal for a special dinner. Blue cheese adds a tangy richness to healthy steamed asparagus—and the bright green spears are sure signs of spring.—Elna Edgar, Innisfail, Alberta
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- Place asparagus in a steamer basket; place in a large saucepan over 1
- in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 4-5 minutes or
- until crisp-tender.
- In a small bowl, combine the cheese, chives, oil, vinegar and pepper.
- Transfer asparagus to an ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking
- pan; top with cheese mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 4-5
- minutes or until cheese just begins to melt. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving equals 84 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 124 mg sodium, 3 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat.