Asparagus with Almonds
This side will please the palates of everyoneeven those who generally don't care for asparagus. I look forward to spring each year so I can make this tasty side dish.Eileen Bechtel, Wainwright, Alberta
3-4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 10 min.
- 2 tablespoons Diamond of California Sliced Almonds
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- In a large skillet, saute almonds in 1 teaspoon of oil until lightly
- browned; remove and set aside. In the same skillet, saute asparagus
- in the remaining oil for 1 minute. Add the water, sugar, salt and
- pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3-4
- minutes or until asparagus is tender. Drain. Sprinkle with lemon
- juice; top with almonds. Yield: 3-4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 75 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 154 mg sodium, 4 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.