Asparagus Vinaigrette Salad
My mom has a large asparagus bed, so I'm kept well-supplied with asparagus all spring. I helped her plant it years ago and have a "My Most Embarrassing Moment" story from that day - I planted all the asparagus with the roots facing up! I still get kidded about it.
4-6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 1-1/4 pounds fresh asparagus, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 jar (4 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup cider or white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- In a saucepan, cook the asparagus in a small amount of water for 5
- minutes or until crisp-tender. Rinse with cold water; drain well.
- Place in a bowl; add pimientos and onions. In a small bowl, whisk
- oil, vinegar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, basil, salt, pepper and
- thyme; pour over asparagus mixture and toss to coat. Cover and
- refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield:
- 4-6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 180 calories, 18 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 236 mg sodium, 4 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.