Asparagus Tossed Salad Recipe
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 cups torn Bibb lettuce
- ORANGE GINGER VINAIGRETTE:
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 4-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring 4 cups of water to a boil for 1 minute. Add asparagus; cover and boil 3 minutes longer. Drain and immediately place vegetables in ice water; drain and pat dry.
- 2. In a salad bowl, combine lettuce, carrots and asparagus. In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the vinaigrette ingredients; shake well. Drizzle over salad and toss to coat. Serve immediately. Yield: 8 servings.
One serving (1-1/4 cups) equals 57 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 61 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat.