Asparagus Tomato Stir-Fry
The recipe for this pretty medley comes from Elizabeth MacAulay in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island. "Last spring, when asparagus was in the stores, my sister found this recipe, tried it and thought I might like it, too," she notes. "This fast-to-fix side dish is perfect after a busy day at work."
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 4 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot, divided
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 3/4 pound fresh asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 green onions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 small plum tomatoes, cut into thin wedges
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, broth, soy sauce and 1/2
- teaspoon ginger until blended; set aside. In a nonstick skillet or
- wok, stir-fry the remaining ginger in canola oil for 30 seconds. Add
- asparagus and onions; stir-fry for 3 minutes. Add mushrooms;
- stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Stir cornstarch mixture and add to skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and
- stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add tomatoes and
- sesame oil; cook 1 minute longer. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (3/4 cup) equals 68 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 268 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber,