Asparagus Tomato Quiche
Just in time for the first delicious crop of asparagus comes a recipe from Dorothy Hussey of Bishop, California that features those savory stalks. "It might look difficult," she divulges, "but it's actually simple to make."—Dorothy Hussey, Bishop, California
6 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (10 inches)
- 10 fresh asparagus spears
- 4 eggs
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 medium tomato, cut into 6 slices
- Line unpricked pie shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil.
- Bake at 450° for 5 minutes. Remove foil; return to the oven for
- 5 minutes. Remove from the oven; reduce heat to 350°. Cut six
- asparagus spears 4 in. long for garnish; set aside. Cut remaining
- asparagus into 1-in. pieces; place in bottom of pie shell. In a
- bowl, beat eggs and flour. Add cream, salt, paprika and mustard;
- beat until smooth. Stir in cheese. Pour over asparagus. Bake for 30
- minutes. Arrange asparagus spears, spoke fashion, on top. Bake for
- 10-15 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out
- clean. Place tomatoes in between asparagus spears. Yield: 6
Wine: Sparkling Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.