Just in time for the first delicious crop of asparagus comes a recipe from Dorothy Hussey of Bishop, California that features those savory stalks. "It might look difficult," she divulges, "but it's actually simple to make."—Dorothy Hussey, Bishop, California
Recommended: Top 10 Quiche Recipes
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (10 inches)
- 10 fresh asparagus spears
- 4 eggs
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 medium tomato, cut into 6 slices
- Line unpricked pie shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 5 minutes. Remove foil; return to the oven for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven; reduce heat to 350°. Cut six asparagus spears 4 in. long for garnish; set aside. Cut remaining asparagus into 1-in. pieces; place in bottom of pie shell. In a bowl, beat eggs and flour. Add cream, salt, paprika and mustard; beat until smooth. Stir in cheese. Pour over asparagus. Bake for 30 minutes. Arrange asparagus spears, spoke fashion, on top. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Place tomatoes in between asparagus spears. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Asparagus Tomato Quiche in Country Woman March/April 1996, p10
Reviews for Asparagus Tomato Quiche
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 17, 2010
"I used an Italian cheese mixture instead of the Swiss."