Asparagus-Stuffed Chicken Rolls Recipe
- 8 fresh asparagus spears
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 4 fresh sage leaves
- 2 slices provolone cheese (1 ounce each)
- 2 slices deli ham (3/4 ounce each)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1. In a large skillet, bring 1/2 in. of water to a boil. Add asparagus; cover and boil for 3 minutes. Drain and immediately place asparagus in ice water. Drain and pat dry.
- 2. Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness. Spread mustard over one side of each chicken breast. Down the center of each, place two sage leaves, a cheese slice, ham slice and four asparagus spears. Fold chicken over asparagus; secure with toothpicks.
- 3. Place flour and egg in separate shallow bowls. In another shallow bowl, combine bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Dip chicken in the flour, egg, then bread crumb mixture.
- 4. In a large skillet, brown chicken on all sides in butter and oil. Transfer to an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Add wine to skillet, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Pour over chicken.
- 5. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Discard toothpicks. Yield: 2 servings.
1 stuffed chicken breast equals 460 calories, 21 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 182 mg cholesterol, 861 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 46 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.