Asparagus-Stuffed Chicken Rolls Recipe
- 8 fresh asparagus spears
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 4 fresh sage leaves
- 2 slices provolone cheese (1 ounce each)
- 2 slices deli ham (3/4 ounce each)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1. In a large skillet, bring 1/2 in. of water to a boil. Add asparagus; cover and boil for 3 minutes. Drain and immediately place asparagus in ice water. Drain and pat dry.
- 2. Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness. Spread mustard over one side of each chicken breast. Down the center of each, place two sage leaves, a cheese slice, ham slice and four asparagus spears. Fold chicken over asparagus; secure with toothpicks.
- 3. Place flour and egg in separate shallow bowls. In another shallow bowl, combine bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Dip chicken in the flour, egg, then bread crumb mixture.
- 4. In a large skillet, brown chicken on all sides in butter and oil. Transfer to an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Add wine to skillet, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Pour over chicken.
- 5. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Discard toothpicks. Yield: 2 servings.
1 each: 460 calories, 21g fat (9g saturated fat), 182mg cholesterol, 861mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 46g protein.
Reviews for Asparagus-Stuffed Chicken Rolls
"This was excellent. It took a little more than 20 minutes prep time, but well worth it. I used Swiss cheese instead of provolone and 1/8 tsp of sage spice on each chicken breast instead of the sage leaves. Much milder sage taste. I also didn't have any bread crumbs, so only browned the chicken using the flour, egg and Parmesan cheese. I actually liked it better that way, more crispy coating, less doughy. I also sprinkled garlic powder, onion powder and white pepper on each chicken breast before adding the asparagus , ham and cheese. My family asked to have this added to our "keeper recipes"."
"Loved it! Decided to add some garlic powder, onion powder, white pepper, and celery salt to the fourth add some flavor. Sage was heavy on flavor so I will probably cut back next time. The family loved it though and wants to add it to the meal rotation!"
"It started out tasting okay and got worse as we ate it no one in our family could finish it Was really disappointed i thought it looked so good."
"This was absolutely delicious. I used white wine with it and the crushed sage in a jar."
"We did not like this at all. The picture looked great and it sounded easy. But tasted very bland to us."
"One of my favorites! The only way my mother will eat asparagus!"
"This was so delicious!"
"Just Loved this recipe!!!"
"awesome awesome dish! the dijon and sage really make this delicious!"
"This was easy to make and the chicken was very moist. I definitely would make this again."