Asparagus Strudel Recipe
Celebrate the arrival of spring by serving this delightful strudel for Easter brunch. Watch the savory slices disappear from the table!
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium leeks (white portion only), thinly sliced
- 1-1/4 cups butter, divided
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 32 sheets phyllo dough, (14 inches x 9 inches)
- 1. In a large skillet, bring water to a boil. Add asparagus; cover and boil for 3 minutes. Drain and immediately place asparagus in ice water. Drain and pat dry. In the same skillet, saute leeks in 1/4 cup butter for 5 minutes or until tender.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the asparagus, leeks, cheese, eggs, lemon juice, parsley, mint, dill, almonds and cayenne.
- 3. Melt remaining butter. Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a work surface (keep remaining dough covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to avoid drying out). Brush with butter. Repeat layers seven times. Spoon a fourth of the vegetable mixture along the short end of dough to within 1 in. of edges. Fold long sides 1 in. over filling. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Place seam side down on a greased baking sheet.
- 4. Repeat, making three more strudels. Brush tops with remaining butter. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes before slicing. Yield: 4 strudels 8 slices each.
2 pieces equals 398 calories, 26 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 109 mg cholesterol, 435 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 15 g protein.
Reviews for Asparagus Strudel
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC