The original recipe for this wonderful egg dish called for sausage, but fresh asparagus is tasty—and healthier, too! I serve this easy,elegant dish with a salad and mini pecan rolls.—Amy Grover, Salem, Massachusetts
6 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 45 min.
- 4 cups water
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 6 bread slices, crust removed and cubed
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add asparagus; boil,
- uncovered, for 3 minutes. Drain and immediately place asparagus in
- ice water. Drain and pat dry.
- In a large bowl, combine the asparagus, milk, bread cubes, eggs,
- cheese and salt. Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and
- refrigerate for 5 hours or overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake,
- uncovered, at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until a knife inserted
- near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before
- serving. Yield: 6 servings.
Wine: Sparkling Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.