- 2 cups cut fresh asparagus (1-inch pieces)
- 20 sheets phyllo dough, (14 inches x 9 inches)
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Refrigerated butter-flavored spray
- 2 cups torn fresh spinach
- 3 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Place asparagus in a steamer basket. Place over 1 in. of water in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover and steam for 5 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Place one sheet of phyllo dough in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray; trim if necessary. Spritz dough with butter-flavored spray. Repeat layers nine times. Arrange spinach, feta cheese and asparagus over the top. Cover with a sheet of phyllo dough; spritz with butter-flavored spray. Repeat, using remaining phyllo. Cut into 12 pieces. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
- For sauce, melt butter in a small saucepan. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add milk. Stir in lemon juice, dill, thyme and salt. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Serve spanakopita with sauce. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Asparagus Spanakopita in Light & Tasty February/March 2002, p52
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Asparagus Spanakopita
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 4, 2010
"I make this a couple of years ago for a big party, and everyone was asking who make it. It was very easy and delicious."