Lots of asparagus is grown not too far from our h me. Each spring, when it's being harvested, I'll make several trips to the fields. I put about 40 lbs. in the freezer...with what's left, we gorge ourselves on fried asparagus, beef and asparagus, scalloped asparagus, etc.!
It's no problem feeding my husband (he's retired; we have two grown children and four grandsons). He'll eat almost anythin
6-8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 pounds fresh asparagus, sliced diagonally into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound thin spaghetti
- 8 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook asparagus in boiling salted water 3 minutes. Drain and set
- aside. cook spaghetti according to package directions. Drain and
- return to kettle to keep warm. Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook bacon
- until crisp. Remove to a paper towel. In bacon drippings, saute
- onion until soft. Add asparagus and pepper; heat through. Quickly
- toss together spaghetti, asparagus mixture, bacon, butter, cream and
- cheese. Serve immediately. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 445 calories, 23 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 42 mg cholesterol, 335 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 13 g protein.