Asparagus Spaghetti Recipe
Lots of asparagus is grown not too far from our h me. Each spring, when it's being harvested, I'll make several trips to the fields. I put about 40 lbs. in the freezer...with what's left, we gorge ourselves on fried asparagus, beef and asparagus, scalloped asparagus, etc.! It's no problem feeding my husband (he's retired; we have two grown children and four grandsons). He'll eat almost anything I put in front of him. We like this dish with a salad and dessert. It's so easy to prepare—it takes only about half an hour from start to serving.
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut diagonally into 1-inch pieces
- 1 package (16 ounces) thin spaghetti
- 8 bacon strips, coarsely chopped
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring 1/2 in. of water to a boil. Add asparagus; cook, covered, 3-5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain.
- 2. In a 6-qt. stockpot, cook spaghetti according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Cook and stir green onions in bacon drippings 1-2 minutes or until tender. Add asparagus and pepper; heat through.
- 3. Drain pasta; return to stockpot. Add asparagus mixture, cheese, cream, butter and bacon; toss to combine until butter is melted. Serve immediately. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 445 calories, 23 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 42 mg cholesterol, 335 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 13 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC