Each spring, my husband takes our dogs and searches for wild asparagus. He's been so successful that I finally developed this recipe. We look forward to this special soup every year.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 6 green onions, sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 can (49-1/2 ounces) chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups cooked wild rice
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup water
- In a 3-qt. saucepan, saute onions in butter for 4 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook until tender. Add asparagus, broth and seasonings; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add rice. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 8-10 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
Originally published as Asparagus Soup in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook 1996, p27
Reviews for Asparagus Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review