We have asparagus almost every day during the short Midwest growing season. This quick pizza-like dish is great for a luncheon or a light dinner, or as an appetizer. For variety, you can saute half a pound of sliced fresh mushrooms with the onion and garlic. —Judy Wagner, Chicago, Illinois
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tubes (8 ounces each) refrigerated crescent rolls
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- In a large skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Cut asparagus into 1-in. pieces; set the tips aside. Add remaining asparagus to skillet; saute until crisp-tender. Add asparagus tips and pepper; saute 1-2 minutes longer or until asparagus is tender.
- Press dough into an ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan; seal seams and perforations. Bake at 375° for 6-8 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Top with asparagus mixture; sprinkle with cheeses. Bake 6-8 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Cut into squares. Yield: 3 dozen.
Originally published as Asparagus Snack Squares in Country Woman March/April 1998, p41
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.
Reviews for Asparagus Snack Squares
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review