Asparagus Shepherd's Pie Recipe
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of asparagus soup, undiluted
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. In a saucepan, cover potatoes with water; cook until very tender. Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in soup and pepper; pour into a greased 2-qt. baking dish.
- 2. Cook asparagus in a small amount of water until crisp-tender, about 3-4 minutes; drain and place over beef mixture.
- 3. Drain potatoes; mash with milk, butter, sage and salt. Spread over the asparagus. Sprinkle with cheese and paprika. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20 minutes. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1/8 recipe (prepared with lean ground beef, skim milk, reduced-fat margarine and reduced-fat mozzarella; calculated w/o added salt) equals 264 calories, 10 g fat (0 saturated fat), 26 mg cholesterol, 436 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 20 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.