Asparagus Scones Recipe
"These moist scones have a mild peppery bite and go great with soup for a light lunch," says Mary Ann Dell of Phoenixville, Pennsylvania. “Parmesan and smoked mozzarella cheese also work just fine in this recipe.”
- 1-3/4 cups cut fresh asparagus (1/4-inch pieces)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk, divided
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring 1/2 in. of water to a boil. Add asparagus; cover and boil for 3 minutes. Drain and immediately place asparagus in ice water. Drain and pat dry; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda, pepper and cayenne. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in 3/4 cup buttermilk just until moistened. Stir in cheese and asparagus.
- 3. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times. Transfer dough to a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Pat into a 9-in. circle. Cut into eight wedges, but do not separate.
- 4. Brush with remaining buttermilk. Bake at 425° for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 8 scones.
1 scone equals 211 calories, 8 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 21 mg cholesterol, 419 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
Reviews for Asparagus Scones
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC