- 1-3/4 cups cut fresh asparagus (1/4-inch pieces)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk, divided
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, bring 1/2 in. of water to a boil. Add asparagus; cover and boil for 3 minutes. Drain and immediately place asparagus in ice water. Drain and pat dry; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda, pepper and cayenne. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in 3/4 cup buttermilk just until moistened. Stir in cheese and asparagus.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times. Transfer dough to a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Pat into a 9-in. circle. Cut into eight wedges, but do not separate.
- Brush with remaining buttermilk. Bake at 425° for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 8 scones.
Reviews for Asparagus Scones
Sort By :
"these are fantastic"
"Sam's carries a Cabot brand cheese that is "50% light". I use it in cooking & it's fine. I'm not wild about it by itself. I've also used it in pimiento cheese with good results."
"I always see recipes that call for reduced-fat cheese. I can't find it anywhere. None of my local stores carry it. Where should I get it? tracy"