Jalapeno pepper and cilantro spice up this refreshing salsa that's made with tomatoes, onion and fresh asparagus. Served chilled with tortilla chips, this chunky sauce won't last long.
12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup chopped seeded tomatoes
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Tortilla chips
- Place asparagus in a large saucepan; add 1/2 in. of water. Bring to
- a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 minutes. Drain and
- rinse in cold water.
- In a large bowl, combine the asparagus, tomatoes, onion, jalapeno,
- cilantro, garlic, vinegar and salt. Cover and refrigerate for at
- least 4 hours, stirring several times. Serve with tortilla chips.
- Yield: 3 cups.
Nutritional Facts: One 1/4-cup serving (calculated without chips) equals 15 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 52 mg sodium, 3 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: Free food.