A tangy, homemade dressing nearly steals the show from crisp-tender asparagus in Tammy Allison's nutritious salad. "It's a lovely display at dinner parties that isn't a lot of work," she writes from Cape May Court House, New Jersey.
Recommended: 26 Ways to Eat Asparagus This Spring
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 cups spring mix salad greens
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons pineapple preserves
- 2 tablespoons apricot preserves
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- Place asparagus and water in a microwave-safe 11-in. x 7-in. dish. Cover and microwave on high for 2-3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and immediately place asparagus in ice water. Drain and pat dry.
- Place salad greens on a serving platter; top with asparagus. In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar, orange juice, preserves, sesame seeds and ginger. Drizzle over salad. Sprinkle with almonds. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Asparagus Salad in Light & Tasty April/May 2006, p28