Asparagus Rice Salad Recipe
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 cups cut fresh asparagus (2-inch pieces)
- 3/4 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1/3 cup pecan halves
- 2 to 4 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- 1. In a saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Stir in rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until tinder. Place 1 in. of water and asparagus in a skillet; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 minutes. Add peas; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the rice, asparagus mixture, onions, pecans and cilantro; mix well. In a bowl, whisk the oil, lemon juice, sour cream, lemon peel, salt and pepper. Pour over rice mixture; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- 3. Just before serving, line a platter with 1 cup of spinach. Tear remaining spinach; arrange over spinach leaves. Top with rice mixture.
3/4 cup: 286 calories, 15g fat (3g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 413mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 4g fiber), 6g protein .
Reviews for Asparagus Rice Salad
"I used 2 Tbl of oil, 3 Tbl sour cream (light sour cream) and almost 1/4 C. lemon juice, and a splash of water. This gave me more dressing to work with, and made it a little lighter, I also used whole wheat rice. My family loved it."