Asparagus Rice Salad Recipe
Fresh asparagus makes this salad special. It's one of my favorite salads to serve in spring.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Cook: 20 min. + chilling YIELD:6 servings
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 cups cut fresh asparagus (2-inch pieces)
- 3/4 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1/3 cup pecan halves
- 2 to 4 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- 1. In a saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Stir in rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until tinder. Place 1 in. of water and asparagus in a skillet; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 minutes. Add peas; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the rice, asparagus mixture, onions, pecans and cilantro; mix well. In a bowl, whisk the oil, lemon juice, sour cream, lemon peel, salt and pepper. Pour over rice mixture; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- 3. Just before serving, line a platter with 1 cup of spinach. Tear remaining spinach; arrange over spinach leaves. Top with rice mixture.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 286 calories, 15 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 413 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC