Every spring when I make this family-favorite entree. I'm struck by how impressive it looks. Ham and asparagus in a creamy sauce are pile high in a cheesy cream puff shell. It's delicious and deceivingly simple to prepare! —Shirley De Lange, Byron Center, Michigan
- 3/4 cup water
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups diced fully cooked ham
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, bring water and butter to a boil. Add flour and salt all at once; stir until a smooth ball forms. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each; beat until smooth. Stir in 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese.
- Using 1/4 cupfuls of dough, form a ring around the sides of a greased 10-in. quiche pan or pie plate (mounds should touch). Top with the remaining cheese. Bake at 400° for 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook asparagus in a small amount of water for 3-4 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain.
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually add milk; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; add cheeses and stir until melted.
- Stir in ham and asparagus; spoon into ring. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Asparagus Puff Ring ) in Taste of Home April/May 1997, p25
Reviews for Asparagus Puff Ring
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Sep. 15, 2012
"I have been making this for years and we never tire of it! Even my little ones like this. Sometimes we eat it over toast instead and it's great that way as well!"
Reviewed Jun. 2, 2010
"Excellent, Definitely a do over!"