Asparagus Puff Ring Recipe
Every spring when I make this family-favorite entree. I'm struck by how impressive it looks. Ham and asparagus in a creamy sauce are pile high in a cheesy cream puff shell. It's delicious and deceivingly simple to prepare! Shirley De Lange, Byron Center, Michigan
- 3/4 cup water
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups diced fully cooked ham
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, bring water and butter to a boil. Add flour and salt all at once; stir until a smooth ball forms. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each; beat until smooth. Stir in 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese.
- Using 1/4 cupfuls of dough, form a ring around the sides of a greased 10-in. quiche pan or pie plate (mounds should touch). Top with the remaining cheese. Bake at 400° for 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook asparagus in a small amount of water for 3-4 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain.
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually add milk; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; add cheeses and stir until melted.
- Stir in ham and asparagus; spoon into ring. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Asparagus Puff Ring ) in Taste of Home April/May 1997, p25
Reviews for Asparagus Puff Ring(2)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Asparagus Recipes >
- Baked Ham >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Grand Prize Winning Recipes >
- Ham Recipes >
- Pork Dinner Recipes >