- 2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 5 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 16 sheets phyllo dough (14x9 inches)
- In a large saucepan, bring 8 cups water to a boil. Add asparagus; cook, uncovered, 30 seconds or just until asparagus turns bright green. Remove asparagus and immediately drop into ice water. Drain and pat dry. In a large bowl, mix eggs, cheeses and seasonings; stir in almonds and asparagus.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Brush a 13x9-in. baking dish with some of the butter. Unroll phyllo dough. Layer eight sheets of phyllo in prepared dish, brushing each with butter. Keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.
- Spread ricotta mixture over phyllo layers. Top with remaining phyllo sheets, brushing each with butter. Cut into 12 rectangles. Bake 50-55 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Asparagus Phyllo Bake
"This was really high in sodium for my family but it was just great. I did add a little onion and I chopped up some garlic scapes to add. Only thing I can say about this is, it takes a lot to make something that was eaten up so quickly but it is something that is worth it now and then."
"Just made this last night for dinner. Wonderful! I think I will add a touch of onion, green onion for color and see if that adds anything. This is excellent just the way it is though!"
"Very good. I enjoyed this recipe, next time I may add a little feta cheese."