Asparagus Phyllo Bake Recipe
- 2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 5 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 16 sheets phyllo dough (14x9 inches)
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring 8 cups water to a boil. Add asparagus; cook, uncovered, 30 seconds or just until asparagus turns bright green. Remove asparagus and immediately drop into ice water. Drain and pat dry. In a large bowl, mix eggs, cheeses and seasonings; stir in almonds and asparagus.
- 2. Preheat oven to 375°. Brush a 13x9-in. baking dish with some of the butter. Unroll phyllo dough. Layer eight sheets of phyllo in prepared dish, brushing each with butter. Keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.
- 3. Spread ricotta mixture over phyllo layers. Top with remaining phyllo sheets, brushing each with butter. Cut into 12 rectangles. Bake 50-55 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 12 servings.
1 piece: 295 calories, 22g fat (12g saturated fat), 142mg cholesterol, 351mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 13g protein.
Reviews for Asparagus Phyllo Bake
"This was really high in sodium for my family but it was just great. I did add a little onion and I chopped up some garlic scapes to add. Only thing I can say about this is, it takes a lot to make something that was eaten up so quickly but it is something that is worth it now and then."
"Just made this last night for dinner. Wonderful! I think I will add a touch of onion, green onion for color and see if that adds anything. This is excellent just the way it is though!"
"Very good. I enjoyed this recipe, next time I may add a little feta cheese."