Asparagus Pepperoni Triangles Recipe
- 2/3 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 egg yolk
- 1-1/2 ounces sliced turkey pepperoni, chopped
- 6 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil or 4 teaspoons dried basil
- 4-1/2 teaspoons minced chives
- 4-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- Dash pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons plus 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 12 sheets phyllo dough (14 inches x 9 inches)
- Butter-flavored cooking spray
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients; set aside. In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add asparagus; cover and boil for 3 minutes. Drain and immediately place asparagus in ice water. Drain and pat dry.
- In a small nonstick skillet over medium heat, cook onion and garlic in 2 teaspoons butter for 2 minutes or just until tender; add to ricotta mixture. Stir in asparagus. Melt remaining butter; set aside.
- Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a work surface with a short end facing you. (Keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap to prevent it from drying out.) Spray sheet with butter-flavored spray; cut into three 14-in. x 3-in. strips. Place a scant tablespoon of asparagus mixture on lower corner of each strip. Fold dough over filling, forming a triangle. Fold triangle up, then fold triangle over, forming another triangle. Continue folding, like a flag, until you come to the end of the strip.
- Brush end of dough with butter and press onto triangle to seal. Turn triangle and brush top with melted butter. Repeat with remaining phyllo and filling.
- Place triangles on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 3 dozen.
Originally published as Asparagus Pepperoni Triangles in Light & Tasty June/July 2007, p31
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Asparagus Pepperoni Triangles
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review