- 2 packages (10-1/2 ounces each) frozen cut asparagus
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas, thawed
- 1 jar (8 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 jar (5 ounces) sharp American cheese spread
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- Cook asparagus according to package directions, omitting the salt. Drain, reserving 3/4 cup cooking liquid. Place asparagus in a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Top with peas, mushrooms and pimientos; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt 3 tablespoons butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add milk and reserved cooking liquid. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; add the cheese spread, salt and pepper; stir until blended. Pour over vegetables. Melt remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over cheese sauce.
- Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight. Or bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until bubbly. If refrigerated before baking, remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes beforehand. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Asparagus Pea Medley in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2005, p131
Reviews for Asparagus Pea Medley
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 28, 2009
"Easy, colorful, and tasty. This was a big hit at last year's holiday celebrations. I will be making it again this coming holiday season."