Asparagus Pasta Recipe
- 1 pound cut fresh asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 ounces uncooked spiral pasta
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup diced fresh tomatoes
- 1/2 cup pitted ripe olives, quartered
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1-1/2 to 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Grated Romano cheese
- 1. Place 1/2-in. of water in a saucepan; add asparagus. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 3-5 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain and set aside.
- 2. Cook pasta according to package directions.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute the mushrooms, onions and garlic in oil until tender. Add the broth, tomatoes and olives. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into the mushroom mixture. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 4. Reduce heat. Add the asparagus, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Cook for 6-8 minutes or until heated through. Drain pasta; add to asparagus mixture and toss to coat. Sprinkle with Romano cheese. Yield: 6-8 servings.
3/4 cup: 235 calories, 10g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 634mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein.
Reviews for Asparagus Pasta
"My 11-year-old loved it, and that's saying a lot! Made a few changes... I didn't have mushrooms so I left those out. Also didn't have tomatoes so I substituted a can of diced tomatoes instead. To make it lower in fat, I only used 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Used 2 teaspoons of Italian seasoning, but will probably will add more seasoning next time."
"2 stars because it started out great until the sauce was added-very bland. It has great potential. So to fix it I sprinkled on maybe a half packet of Italian seasoning and vinegar to taste. I also didn't cook the tomatoes or olives. Next time I will omit the sauce and just add an Italian vinaigrette."