Asparagus Parma Recipe
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or additional reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon rubbed sage
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 2 thin slices prosciutto or deli ham, cut into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a small saucepan, bring broth and wine to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 12-15 minutes or until reduced to about 3/4 cup. Stir in the capers, shallot, sage, parsley, garlic, thyme and pepper flakes. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 4-5 minutes longer. Stir in butter until melted.
- 2. Place asparagus in a 3-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Pour sauce over asparagus; top with prosciutto. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until tender. Sprinkle with cheese before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving equals 76 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 320 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.