Asparagus Onion Casserole Recipe
This vegetable dish goes great with just about any meal. I've prepared it ahead of time, then popped it in the oven so it's ready with the meal.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min. YIELD:4-6 servings
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces or 2 packages (10 ounces each) asparagus cuts, thawed
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1. In a large skillet, saute asparagus and onions in 1 tablespoon of butter until crisp-tender, about 8 minutes. Transfer to an ungreased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish.
- 2. In a large saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 3. Reduce heat. Add the cream cheese, salt and pepper; stir until cheese is melted. Pour over vegetables. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Melt remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over casserole.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 250 calories, 19 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 57 mg cholesterol, 654 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC