Asparagus on Toast Points Recipe
At home in Cody, Wyoming, Wendy Prevost relies on this springtime specialty for family and friends. It’s no fuss to double for a crowd. And, as Wendy says, “It’s a cinch to make, delightful to present and delicious to eat!”
- 1-1/4 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons plus 4 teaspoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 2/3 cup chicken broth
- 1/3 cup half-and-half cream
- 4 slices bread, toasted
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, bring 1/2 in. of water to a boil. Add asparagus. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3-5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain well; set aside.
- 2. In a small saucepan, saute onion in 2 tablespoons butter. Stir in the flour, pepper and nutmeg. Gradually add broth and cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
- 3. Melt remaining butter; spread over one side of each slice of toast. Cut each slice into four triangles; arrange in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with asparagus and white sauce. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 8-10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 263 calories, 17 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 51 mg cholesterol, 489 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 8 g protein.
Reviews for Asparagus on Toast Points
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC