When my husband and I created this recipe when trying to use up leftover asparagus and hollandaise sauce. The vegetable-filled omelet gets its irresistible flavor from the creamy sauce and a nice crunch from crumbled bacon. We think this is special enough for company.
Recommended: 21 Breakfast Sandwiches Ready in 30 Minutes
- 1 envelope hollandaise sauce mix
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 8 bacon strips, diced
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons water
- 12 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large saucepan, prepare the hollandaise sauce mix with milk and butter according to package directions; keep warm.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp; remove to paper towels. In the drippings, saute mushrooms until tender; set aside.
- Place asparagus and water in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on high for 4-5 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain and keep warm.
- Coat a 10-in. skillet with cooking spray and place over medium heat; add 3/4 cup beaten eggs (3 eggs) to skillet (mixture should set immediately at edges).
- As eggs set, push cooked edges toward the center, letting uncooked portion flow underneath. When the eggs are set, sprinkle a fourth of the asparagus, 1/4 cup cheese and a fourth of the mushrooms on one side and sprinkle with cheese; fold other side over filling. Invert omelet onto a plate to serve. Repeat for remaining omelets. Top with hollandaise sauce and bacon. Yield: 4 omelets.
Originally published as Asparagus Omelet in Quick Cooking March/April 2002, p27
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Asparagus Omelet
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 2, 2012
"I omitted the mushrooms...still delicious"