Asparagus Nut Stir-Fry
This pretty side dish is an excellent way to serve one of the first springtime vegetables from our garden. I never have leftovers since everyone goes for the fresh taste of the asparagus, the crunch of the walnuts and the zippy seasoning.
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh asparagus spears, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large skillet or wok, stir-fry asparagus in oil until
- crisp-tender, about 10 minutes. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same pan, stir-fry the red pepper, walnuts, ginger, garlic and
- pepper flakes for 2 minutes or until red pepper is crisp-tender.
- Stir in the broth, soy sauce, sugar and salt; heat through. Add
- asparagus; toss to coat. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 92 calories, 8 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 529 mg sodium, 4 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.