Nothing says Mother’s Day like a quiche. The buttery crust and fresh fillings—in this case, spring favorites asparagus, mushrooms and onion—show Mom how much you care. But don’t be intimidated: A super-easy refrigerated pastry makes this recipe a cinch to put together. —Trisha Kruse, Eagle, Idaho
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie pastry
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 large eggs
- 1-1/3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Unroll pastry into a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate; flute edges.
- Place asparagus in a steamer basket; place in a large saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 3-5 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- In a large skillet, saute onion and mushrooms in butter until tender. Stir in asparagus. Transfer to crust. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, cream, basil, salt and pepper; pour over top.
Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Freeze option: Securely wrap and freeze cooled quiche in plastic wrap and foil. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 375°. Unwrap quiche; reheat in oven until heated through and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Asparagus Mushroom Quiche in Simple & Delicious April/May 2012, p64
Reviews for Asparagus Mushroom Quiche
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review