This colorful casserole is a palate-pleaser. Asparagus, mushrooms, onions and pimientos make a mouthwatering medley. Lemon and nutmeg give this dish a slightly tangy taste.—M. Kay Lacey, Apache Junction, Arizona
Recommended: 50 Hearty Breakfast Casseroles
- 4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen cut asparagus, thawed and drained
- 1/4 cup diced pimientos
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3/4 cup soft bread crumbs
- In a nonstick skillet, cook mushrooms and onion in 3 tablespoons butter until tender. Remove vegetables with a slotted spoon and set aside. Stir the flour, bouillon, salt, nutmeg and pepper into drippings until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in asparagus, pimientos, lemon juice and the mushroom mixture.
- Pour into a 1-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Melt remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Asparagus Mushroom Casserole in Light & Tasty April/May 2001, p39
Reviews for Asparagus Mushroom Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 4, 2010
"Made this for Thanksgiving - family loved it ! So delicious. Prepared day ahead and baked next day - perfect. Really wonderful addition to our holiday table. Give this 5 stars."