When I was growing up on my parents' dairy farm, we always had a large asparagus patch. I still love asparagus, but my husband and two children weren't that eager to eat it until I found this recipe. Now even my toughest vegetable critic, 4-year-old son Aaron, enjoys these savory spears.
Linda McKee, Big Prairie, Ohio
4-6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons crushed butter-flavored crackers
- In a skillet, cook asparagus in a small amount of water until
- crisp-tender, about 6-8 minutes; drain. Arrange spears in the bottom
- of a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish; set aside and keep warm.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth.
- Gradually whisk in the cream, bouillon, nutmeg and salt. Bring to a
- boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until
- Remove from the heat; add cheese and stir until melted. Pour over
- asparagus. Sprinkle with cracker crumbs. Broil 6 in. from the heat
- for 3-5 minutes or until lightly browned. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (6 ounces) equals 133 calories, 9 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 33 mg cholesterol, 204 mg sodium,