Asparagus Mornay Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons crushed butter-flavored crackers
- 1. In a skillet, cook asparagus in a small amount of water until crisp-tender, about 6-8 minutes; drain. Arrange spears in the bottom of a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish; set aside and keep warm.
- 2. In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually whisk in the cream, bouillon, nutmeg and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 3. Remove from the heat; add cheese and stir until melted. Pour over asparagus. Sprinkle with cracker crumbs. Broil 6 in. from the heat for 3-5 minutes or until lightly browned. Yield: 4-6 servings.
6 ounce-weight: 133 calories, 9g fat (6g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 204mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Reviews for Asparagus Mornay
"I 'm not one to pour cheese sauces over every vegetable dish I serve. Vegetables do not need to drown under a sea of cheese sauce. But I really love this mornay rendition. It tastes professionally made and is wonderful for company as well as family."
"Very easy to make. A tasty way to eat asparagus."
"This was easy to make and very flavorful...just be careful with the broiler...the crackers "brown" quickly!"
"This is onr of my favorite side dishes I have found on here! The sauce is delicious on pasta too!"