- 1-1/2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons crushed butter-flavored crackers
- In a skillet, cook asparagus in a small amount of water until crisp-tender, about 6-8 minutes; drain. Arrange spears in the bottom of a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish; set aside and keep warm.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually whisk in the cream, bouillon, nutmeg and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat; add cheese and stir until melted. Pour over asparagus. Sprinkle with cracker crumbs. Broil 6 in. from the heat for 3-5 minutes or until lightly browned. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Reviews for Asparagus Mornay
"I'm not one to pour cheese sauces over every vegetable dish I serve. Vegetables do not necessarily need to drown under a sea of cheese sauce. But I really LOVE this Mornay rendition. It tastes professionally made and is wonderful for company as well as family!"
"Very easy to make. A tasty way to eat asparagus."
"This was easy to make and very flavorful...just be careful with the broiler...the crackers "brown" quickly!"
"This is onr of my favorite side dishes I have found on here! The sauce is delicious on pasta too!"