When I was growing up on my parents' dairy farm, we always had a large asparagus patch. I still love asparagus, but my husband and two children weren't that eager to eat it until I found this recipe. Now even my toughest vegetable critic, 4-year-old son Aaron, enjoys these savory spears. — Linda McKee, Big Prairie, Ohio
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons crushed butter-flavored crackers
- In a skillet, cook asparagus in a small amount of water until crisp-tender, about 6-8 minutes; drain. Arrange spears in the bottom of a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish; set aside and keep warm.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually whisk in the cream, bouillon, nutmeg and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat; add cheese and stir until melted. Pour over asparagus. Sprinkle with cracker crumbs. Broil 6 in. from the heat for 3-5 minutes or until lightly browned. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Asparagus Mornay in Taste of Home April/May 1997, p25
Reviews for Asparagus Mornay
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review