Asparagus Leek Soup
This is one of my family's favorite soups. It's so good for you because of all the vegetables, and it's very filling, too.
12-16 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 3 large leeks, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 quarts chicken broth
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, but into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound fresh spinach, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a Dutch oven, saute leeks and onion in butter until tender. Add
- the potatoes, carrots, salt, broth and rice. Cover and bring to a
- boil; reduce heat and simmer for 25-30 minutes. Stir in asparagus.
- Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add the spinach, pepper and cream; heat through. Yield: 12-16
- servings (4-1/2 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 157 calories, 8 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 26 mg cholesterol, 778 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.