Asparagus Leek Soup Recipe
- 3 large leeks, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 quarts chicken broth
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, but into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound fresh spinach, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute leeks and onion in butter until tender. Add the potatoes, carrots, salt, broth and rice. Cover and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 25-30 minutes. Stir in asparagus.
- 2. Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add the spinach, pepper and cream; heat through. Yield: 12-16 servings (4-1/2 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 157 calories, 8 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 26 mg cholesterol, 778 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Reviews for Asparagus Leek Soup
"This soup is delicious! It took a little time to chop everything up but very worth it. It is a keeper!"
"Made this soup during our recent "snow event" & we're lovin' the tasty, warm feeling of good , old fashioned comfort food. Excellent, and we made it even more delicious by adding a couple more handfuls of spinach than what were called for. YUMMY!!!"
"This is my families favorite soup recipe. AWESOME!!!"
"I have made this recipe more than once. I prefer canned asparagus at the end, since I don't like the crisp. The last time I made this I was out of asparagus; instead I put in some sliced fully cooked chicken sausage (roasted red pepper with onions and asiago flavor) and some sauted sliced portabellos. This made it yummy and hardy. You can really do a lot of different things with this soup since the base flavor is so good!"
"This looks delicious, but what should I do if I don't have a dutch oven?"
"My husband loved the recipe. The leeks were kinda of scary at first but rinse them well and be sure to get inside the leaves. I cut the recipe in half and tried freezing some without the cream. Will add the cream when reheating."
"Have made it several times and get requests for it"
"When I can't find asparagus, I substitute broccoli. Either way it's delicious."