This is one of my family's favorite soups. It's so good for you because of all the vegetables, and it's very filling, too.
- 3 large leeks, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 quarts chicken broth
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, but into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound fresh spinach, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a Dutch oven, saute leeks and onion in butter until tender. Add the potatoes, carrots, salt, broth and rice. Cover and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 25-30 minutes. Stir in asparagus.
- Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add the spinach, pepper and cream; heat through. Yield: 12-16 servings (4-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Asparagus Leek Soup in Country April/May 1993, p47
Reviews for Asparagus Leek Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review