Asparagus Leek Chowder Recipe
To us, asparagus is the taste of spring, so we enjoy it in as many meals as we can. When this thick and creamy chowder is on the table, we know spring has arrived. -Elisabeth Harders West Allis, Wisconsin
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 large leeks (white portion only), sliced
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 can (11 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 tablespoon chopped pimientos
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute the asparagus, mushrooms and leeks in butter for 10 minutes or until tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended.
- 2. Gradually stir in broth and cream. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in corn and pimientos; heat through. Yield: 7 servings.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC