Asparagus Lasagna Recipe
- 3 pounds fresh asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 5 cups milk
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 12 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook asparagus in a small amount of water until crisp-tender, about 7 minutes; drain and set aside. In another large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour , salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cream cheese, lemon juice, peel and nutmeg until cheese is melted.
- 2. Spread about 3/4 cup sauce in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Layer with three noodles, a fourth of the sauce and a third of the asparagus and mozzarella. Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining noodles and sauce (dish will be full). Sprinkle with Parmesan. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 45-50 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 359 calories, 20 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 64 mg cholesterol, 567 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 15 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.